Singapore - Kah Motor Co., Sdn. Bhd. today announced that it introduces the all-new NSX to Singapore. The super sport car was unveiled by a Formula One racing driver. Fernando Alonso form McLaren-Honda, together with Mr. Ted Klaus, Global Development Leader of the model from Honda R&D Americas, Inc. The all-new NSX, created to bring the “New Sports eXperience” with Honda’s original and advanced electrification technologies, is now open for booking.
Specifically created to bring a “New Sports eXperience” to the supercar segment, the Honda NSX, challenges conventional beliefs about supercars by making use of advanced new technologies, such as lightweight yet rigid all-aluminium unibody and chassis mated to mid-mounted, transverse V6 engine. Developed under the concept of a “human-centered supercar”, a car that puts the driver first in every aspect of its design, the next-generation NSX leverage its state-of-the-art hybrid supercar power unit, body and chassis to deliver exceptionally intuitive and immediate response to the driver inputs. The development goal was to make the Honda NSX the most intuitive hybrid powertrain in the supercar market.
“It has been more than 25 years since Honda put the first supercar on the road, it became the first Japanese maker venturing into the production of a supercar. Since then, the NSX has become an iconic symbol of Honda’s technological supremacy and Japanese reliability. The new NSX incorporates loads of new technology including a 3.5L V6 Hybrid engine coupled with a 9 speed dual clutch transmission. This fantastic machine produces a combined maximum output of 576hp and reaches speed exceeding 300km/h. It is manufactured in the all-new Honda Performance Manufacturing Centre in Ohio, USA and is limited to just a handful available, each built by master craftsmen. Every NSX is guaranteed to be “track-ready” the moment it rolls off the assembly line from the factory. We are privileged to be the only country in South East Asia to launch this fantastic car and production allocation will be strictly limited and allocated on a first come basis. It is not only “track-ready” but switches from Track Mode to Street Mode easily. The NSX is truly a motoring sports enthusiast’s dream come true. We are indeed excited to be part of the team making the launch in Singapore possible”, said Mr. Nicholas Wong, General Manager of Kah Motor.
Mr. Ted Klaus, Global Development Leader of the all-new NSX, stated, “The Next Generation Honda NSX was specifically created to bring a ‘New Sports eXperience’ to the supercar segment. It challenges conventional beliefs about supercars, much as the first generation did a quarter century ago. With advanced concepts in technology, design and next generation quality, NSX is truly a pinnacle expression of Honda’s Sports DNA.”
Among its many innovations is the revolutionary Sport Hybrid Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD), first-of-its-kind technology in the exotic sports car segment. The next generation Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit consists of an all-new twin-turbocharged mid-mounted V6 engine paired with an all-new 9-speed dual clutch transmission (9DCT) and Direct Drive Motor that supplements the engine with instant torque response. The Direct Drive Motor also operates as a generator, maintaining the state of charge of the hybrid batteries to consistently support driver demands. These systems, which comprise the rear power unit, are supplemented by the revolutionary capabilities of the front-mounted Twin Motor Unit (TMU). Containing two electric motors that independently drive the left and right front wheels, the TMU provides “active AWD,” increasing forward acceleration and continuously varying torque—both positive and negative—supplied to the front wheels. The resulting “direct yaw control” effect enhances agility, stability, performance and response—it is true torque vectoring, available at any speed in both on-throttle and off-throttle situations. Finally, the TMU also provides regenerative braking force, supporting braking demands while also recharging the hybrid battery.
By taking advantage of the immediate and precise torque response of the power unit’s three electric motors, the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system can elevate any driver’s confidence and performance while extracting more performance than could be obtained without it.
Flexible and customizable driving experience
The unique nature of the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit enables a high degree of flexibility to customize the driving experience and dynamic performance to suit the needs and desires of the driver and the driving environment. This capability is provided by the Integrated Dynamics System, controlled by the Dynamic Mode dial on the center console. The NSX Integrated Dynamics System features four selectable dynamic modes—Quiet, Sport, Sport+ and Track—integrating all of the vehicle’s dynamic systems: steering, brakes, throttle, Vehicle Stability Assist, dampers and Sport Hybrid SH-AWD control systems, as well as providing a customizable auditory experience via new Intake Sound Control and Active Exhaust Valve technologies.
• Quiet - Quiet mode gives the driver the ability to prioritize electric-only driving that makes the NSX virtually silent at lower speeds. Its Twin Motor Unit (TMU) provides initial launch from a standstill. When power demand requires the engine, it starts more quietly than in other modes. Maximum engine speed is limited to 4,000 rpm, while the active exhaust and intake sound control valves are closed for a more hushed operation. The transmission shift map also prioritizes lower engine speeds. The driver interface (tachometer and center console information display screen) features a cool and quiet blue colour.
• Sport - Sport mode takes advantage of the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit to offer the driver a direct responsive vehicle, or a more relaxed vehicle, according to their driving inputs. Compared to Quiet mode, Sport mode eliminates the 4,000 rpm limit on the engine and provides a more aggressive throttle map for quicker response. A more aggressive transmission shift map holds gears longer and allows for higher rpm shift points. The intake sound control system and the active exhaust valve are activated in the mode, enabling exhaust and intake sound to permeate the cabin for a more emotional driving experience. Like Quiet mode, Sport mode stops the engine whenever possible. The Sport mode setting is the default setting in normal vehicle operation. The driver interface turns to a grey hue with red highlights.
• Sport+ - Sport+ prioritizes maximum Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit response and dynamic performance with faster up and downshifts of the 9DCT and still more aggressive throttle mapping. Maximum use of the electric motor torque provides more explosive acceleration. Increased agility is achieved by harmonizing a more aggressive direct yaw control setting that works in concert with the magnetorheological (MR) dampers, AHA and the variable gear ratio electric power steering (EPS) system—perfect for a spirited drive on a winding road. Sport+ mode also offers the driver a higher degree of steering feedback, while intake and exhaust note sounds are further increased for an even more exhilarating and emotional driving experience. The driver interface offers an aggressive yellow “con trail” along the tachometer needle supporting maximum visual feedback of the engine rpm. The center console information display glows with red highlights to reinforce that the driver is in Sport+ mode.
• Track - Optimized for circuit driving, Track mode provides the most aggressive settings to support the driver in capturing the fastest and most consistent lap times. In Track mode, Launch Mode Control is available for maximum possible acceleration from a standstill. The super sports brakes system offers enhanced performance and pedal feedback. Up and downshift 9DCT performance, Sport Hybrid SH-AWD and active driver aids, such as VSA and AHA, are programmed to support circuit-limit driving. In Track mode, an even greater amount of engine intake sound permeates the cabin for a heightened, more emotional driving experience that enhances driver feedback, even when wearing a helmet. Track mode supports the driver’s ability to capture the best lap times by prioritizing the IPU state-of-charge for consistent torque delivery and direct yaw control.
World’s first all-aluminium exotic car
Making use of a space-frame design, the new NSX comprises of primarily lightweight aluminium, with the strategic use of steel and carbon fibre. The aluminium-intensive space frame and multi-material body panels also minimize weight with superior packaging flexibility for the NSX Sport Hybrid SH-AWD power unit. The high level of dynamic rigidity reduces noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) and ensures that driver inputs are directly translated to vehicle actions with incredible speed and fidelity—the essence of the New Sports eXperience.
Some key features of the NSX multi-material space frame and body panels are:
• Unmatched dynamic torsional rigidity – The NSX directly responds to the driver’s cornering demands, instantly transmitting those inputs to the chassis while maintaining perfect connection between front and rear axles, communicating both the driver’s action and any changes in the road surface with the utmost fidelity.
• Ultra-high local chassis rigidity – Each chassis component is mounted to a rigid casting supported by extruded aluminium frame members that act like “truss structures” such that high local attachment-area stiffness is ensured in all directions, helping maintain the precisely-designed chassis geometry at all times.
• World’s first automotive application of ablation casting technology – Used both at front and rear, these ablation cast aluminium frame nodes serve as ultra-rigid mounting points for the suspension. Applied in key crush zones, these nodes link frame sections together and uniquely deform in a manner similar to a forged component but with lower weight, enabling shorter front and rear overhang, reduced vehicle mass and world-class collision performance.
• A-pillars: Super strong, yet slender – In another world’s first, a new three-dimensional bent and quenched (3DQ) frame member was employed to create thin yet sturdy A-pillars. The resulting ultra-high-strength material allows a slender cross section to maximize forward visibility while meeting structural demands, including roof-crush requirements.
Precision Crafted Performance DNA
Staying true to its Precision Crafted Performance DNA, the “Interwoven Dynamic” exterior design of the new NSX integrates supercar aesthetics with supercar performance. The overall sleek yet muscular stance conveys a sense of purpose and power. Remarkably compact overhangs foretell the design and engineering team’s exemplary packaging of mechanical and electrical components.
• Floating C-Pillars – They aid engine cooling by creating a negative pressure zone around the rear heat exhaust vents, along the outside edges of the rear windscreen, improving the efficiency of heat exhaustion. The portion of air that flows down the sides of the vehicle toward the outside sections of the buttress is stabilized to reduce turbulence as it passes with minimal disruption over the rear fenders and spoiler.
• Flush-Mounted Automatic Power Pop-out Door Handles – The flush-fitting exterior door handles are both aesthetically pleasing and functional, providing a welcoming “handshake” with the driver or passenger as they extend outward from the door upon approach while at the same time supporting clean airflow along the body side.
• LED lighting – Featuring LED headlights, LED daytime running lights(DRL) and LED taillights.
• Exterior finish & paint – Each NSX is individually painted and hand-finished. The entire paint process occurs in-house over the course of more than 20 hours per car. The NSX paint team at the innovative new Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) targeted the highest levels of paint quality with reduced environmental impact, consistent with their target of “next-generation quality and craftsmanship.”
The all-new NSX’s cabin was designed – like its predecessor – with a “Human Support Cockpit”. It respects the fundamental, driver-centered interior concept of the original NSX with attention to enhanced visibility, driver support and comfort, ergonomics and simple driver interfaces presented with elegant materials and design. Once the driver entered the cabin, he or she will be greeted with a Thin-Film Translator(TFT) digital instrument cluster, a customizable Multi-Information Display (MID) which relays important information to the driver based on the inputs of the dial-operated Integrated Dynamic System.
From the intuitive instrumentation and simple control layout to the careful application of materials and padding in the sports seats, steering wheel and center console, the NSX provides exceptional, driver-centric ergonomics that supports and clarifies the driving experience.
Fast yet safe
The innovative, multi-material space frame of the new NSX utilizes ablation cast aluminium nodes and highly rigid extruded aluminium frame members for superior crashworthiness and occupant protection with light weight and high rigidity. The NSX also utilizes the world’s first application of a three-dimensionally formed and water jet-quenched ultra-high-strength steel for its A-pillar construction, which offers robust structural rigidity, including roof-crush performance.
Furthermore, the multi-material space frame design and the packaging of hybrid componentry, including the IPU and high-voltage systems, have also been optimized to assist with occupant protection and for the safety of emergency personnel (first responders).
Standard primary and supplemental restraint systems in the NSX include:
• Single-stage driver and dual-stage passenger multiple-threshold front airbags (SRS)
• Driver knee airbag
• Side airbags
• Side curtain airbags with rollover sensor
• Three-point seatbelts with a load-limited equipped automatic tensioning system
Accompanying these passive safety technologies, an additional level of safety performance is afforded by advanced active and passive safety technologies:
• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) with Traction Control
• Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
• Multi-Angle Rear-view Camera with Dynamic Guidelines
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Location and Pressure Indicators
• LED Daytime Running Lights
The all-new Honda NSX environmental performance is geared to set a new standard in its competitive class. Under LTA’s FELS system, the NSX is expected to achieve fuel economy of 10L/100km and a CO2 output of 228g/km.
The all-new Honda NSX is available in eight exciting colours, which are Berlina Black, Source Silver Metallic, Casino White Pearl, 130R White, Nouvelle Blue Pearl, Nord Gray Metallic, Valencia Red Pearl and Curva Red.
The all-new 2016 Honda NSX comes with an exclusive 5-year unlimited mileage and 10 years hybrid battery warranty offered by Kah Motor.